General Assistance

Where to apply for General Assistance?

General Assistance applications are accepted at 251 E Hackett Road in Modesto in-person only. Appointments are available on a first come, first service basis starting at 8 AM daily, Monday through Friday.

Who is potentially eligible to General Assistance?

  • Individuals who are residents of Stanislaus County for at least 15 days and intend to remain in Stanislaus County.
  • Citizens of the United states or legal residents.
  • Adults without dependent children under the age of 18.

General Assistance Program Requirements

  • A face to face interview is required to be completed for each application.
  • Individuals with low income. Income limits apply and all income is used to determine grant eligibility. All potentially available income is required to be applied for by the applicant.
  • If the applicant has had employment in the last two years, the applicant must apply for unemployment benefits.
  • The property limit is $300 and any cash or money in the bank must be used for living expenses.
  • The employable program is only available for 90 days within a year.

Application process

Applicants are encouraged to bring the following verifications with them to the interview:

  • Proof of identity (Identification card with picture, birth certificate)
  • Social security card
  • Proof of property (current bank statement with value, vehicle registration, etc)
  • Proof of income (pay checks, unemployment benefits, social security benefits)

Duration of General Assistance

Employable Status

A person who is determined to be employable will only be eligible to receive General Assistance benefits for up to 90 days in a 12-month period. Participation in the County Work Program is required which will include:

  • Attending an orientation and job preparation workshop
  • Completing job search assignments
  • Working at a worksite for the assigned hours before General Assistance benefits are issued

Disabled Status

A person who is permanently disabled and unable to work for 12 months or more may receive General Assistance benefits. Eligibility requirements must be met and includes applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) through the Social Security Administration (SSA). Eligibility to General Assistance benefits may extend until the SSI Hearing Level determination. A social worker (SSI Advocate) assists with this process.