The CAPI Program is a California state-funded program designed to provide monthly cash benefits to aged, blind, and disabled non-citizens who are ineligible to SSI/SSP solely due to their immigrant status.
Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI)
CAPI is a 100 percent state-funded program designed to provide monthly cash benefits to aged, blind, and disabled non-citizens who are ineligible for SSI/SSP solely due to their immigrant status. The welfare reform act of 1996 (P.L. 104-193) eliminated Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment (SSI/SSP) eligibility for most non-citizens.
Basic Eligibility Rules for CAPI
- Successfully complete the application process, which is begun by filing and application in county welfare department offices.
- Meet all other SSI/SSP eligibility criteria except for immigration status
- Be aged, blind, or disabled,
- Be a resident of California,
- Have resource3s below the allowable limits of $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a couple, and
- Have income less than the CAPI standards
- Be a non-citizen and meet the immigration status criteria in effect for SSI/SSP as of 8/21/96.
- Be ineligible for SSI/SSP solely due to immigration status. This means a CAPI applicant must apply for SSI/SSP, or submit other proof of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI) is a cash assistance program designed to provide assistance for those who are ineligible to SSI/SSP based solely on their immigration Sstatus.
Customers can apply by completing a CAPI application packet that can be picked up at any CSA office or mailed upon request.
- CSA Main Office
251 E. Hackett Rd.
Modesto Ca 95358
- CSA East County Service Center
1405 West F St. Ste #1
Oakdale Ca 95361
- CSA South County Service Center
1310 West Main St.
Turlock Ca 95380
- CSA West County Service Center
101 W. Las Palmas Ave.
Patterson Ca 95363
- An individual who is not a U.S. citizen
- An individual who is ineligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) solely based on immigration status
- An individual who is at least age 65, disabled or blind
- An Individual who is a resident of California
- An individual who’s income is less than the potential CAPI benefits
- An individual who has $2,000 or less in resources
No, the CAPI program is designed for adults with no children under 18.
CAPI eligibility is determined on a case by case basis. Verifications requested from each customer will vary dependent upon their individual circumstance.
No, U.S. Citizens are not eligible to the CAPI Program. The CAPI program is designed for individuals who are ineligible to SSI/SSP solely based on their immigration status.
Yes, homelessness is not an eligibility requirement.
Applications submitted for Stanislaus County residents are received in Stanislaus County, but are processed by San Mateo County. If you have a pending application or questions about your CAPI benefits, you can contact the San Mateo CAPI unit at 1-800-648-0954 or San Mateo’s Service Center at 1-800-223-8383
You can call CSA’s Customer Service Center 1-877-652-0734
Copyright © Stanislaus County, California 2023
The Stancounty.Com website has been translated for your convenience using translation software powered by Google Translate. Reasonable efforts have been made to provide an accurate translation, however, no automated translation is perfect nor is it intended to replace human translators. Translations are provided as a service to users of the Stancounty.Com website, and are provided "as is." No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of any translations made from English into any other language. Some content (such as images, videos, Flash, etc.) may not be accurately translated due to the limitations of the translation software.
The official text is the English version of the website. Any discrepancies or differences created in the translation are not binding and have no legal effect for compliance or enforcement purposes. If any questions arise related to the accuracy of the information contained in the translated website, please refer to the English version of the website which is the official version.
You're using an older browser which may not be able to function correctly on the following site. Please make sure you upgrade to one of the following browsers to make sure your transactions are secure:
- Internet Explorer version 11
- Chrome 26+
- Firefox 1.5+
- Safari 3+